Wednesday 7 April 2010

Retail therapy

In between all the training, aching muscles and watching what I eat, one good thing has come of my preparations for the Three Peaks – an excuse to go shopping.

The Bank Holiday weekend seemed like the perfect time to start checking off the long list of things we need to take with us for the challenge. And believe me it is a long list – including some things I would rather not talk about (like large sandwich bags – I’ll leave you to figure out what we need those for).

So, armed with my list, some advice from a friend of mine who is a hill walking expert (thanks Gordon!), and a very whingey boyfriend, I made my way to the shops on Good Friday for some Three Peaks retail therapy.

First and foremost on the list was a good pair of walking boots – yay, shoe shopping! But rather than worrying about whether I can walk in four inch heels or if gold platforms actually go with anything in my wardrobe, I had rather more important things to worry about on this shopping trip - like whether the boots would support my ankles on the rocky climbs and get me through 13 hours of walking or if they were more likely to give me blisters and leave me limping up the mountains.

I managed to find some great Karrimor KSB boots (Gordon and other outdoor types will know what I’m talking about) at 70% off – I do like a bargain! Next on the list was a warm fleece – check, back pack – check, and a waterproof jacket bright enough so that I can be found if I get caught in a snow blizzard – check. And all before lunch time – phew!

So with the rest of Good Friday free it was a chance to test my new outfit (sorry climbing gear) and break in my boots, so we headed off in search of a hill to climb. We were staying in Yorkshire with family over Easter so the no-longer whingey boyfriend and I set off to the Dales.

We found a five and a half mile walk in a guide book which was described as relatively easy with one steep muddy climb – perfect. After getting a little lost and having a debate over whether a bridge was a stone bridge or a wooden bridge(why can’t they make these instructions simpler?), not to mention an encounter with a rather mean looking horse, it was time for the steep climb.

After wheezing my way up the very slippery path (the guide book wasn’t kidding when it said it was muddy), I was very proud of myself when I reached the top of the ridge. But then I realised I had only climbed 330 metres – just a third of the height of Scarfell Pike – the smallest mountain of the Three Peaks!

My little adventure on the Yorkshire Dales may have helped me break in my walking boots but it also made me realise I need to get a lot fitter - and I have just one month to do it. Eek!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment